We all have our favorite brands and our favorite saws from those brands to stock our woodworking shop with, and there are a multitude of choices. One of those brand choices is the Makita LS1219L.
It is much to compel itself to us for consideration, including power and versatility. Yet, like all other power tools we might purchase, it also comes with its own set of common problems.
This is not to suggest it is a bad choice for your shop or that Makita, in some way, is not a good brand. We feel quite the contrary.
- A solid 12″ dual-bevel sliding miter saw, the Makita LS1219L when properly maintained and operated, is a durable and powerful addition to your power tool inventory.
- It is not without some common issues, but many can be avoided if you just take the time to read the owner’s manual and use it as it was intended to be used.
- Read on to learn what those common issues might be, and then read the manual for guidance on how to avoid them.
But we’ve all encountered problems with power tools from time to time, and we all like to know what to expect from the various options before we make a purchase. That is why we write these articles – to inform you so that your choices can be smart.
The information that follows is for that purpose alone.
What Is The Makita ls1219l?
The Makita LS1219L is a 12-inch dual-bevel sliding compound miter saw with an adjustable laser. It is a powerful and versatile tool that can be used for a variety of woodworking tasks, including cutting crown molding, baseboards, and decking.
The LS1219L has a number of features that make it a great choice for professionals and DIYers alike. These features include:
- A powerful 1800W direct drive motor that provides smooth and accurate cuts
- A unique 2-steel rail sliding system that offers a reduced footprint for operation flush against a wall
- Increased capacity for up to 8″ crown molding (vertically nested), 6-3/4″ baseboard (vertical), and 15″ crosscuts at 90°
- In-front bevel lock for convenient operation
- Dual dust collection ports for improved dust extraction performance
- Large turn base supports the workpiece securely for increased stability
- Integrated and guide fences for increased rigidity and high cutting accuracy
- Single sliding system enables smooth operation to produce superior cuts
- Laser guide
The Makita LS1219L is a great choice for anyone who needs a powerful and versatile miter saw. It is well-made, easy to use, and produces accurate cuts.
- Unique 2-steel rail sliding system design offers single slide-glide operation; reduced saw footprint…
- Increased capacity for up to 8″ Crown molding (vertically nested), 6-3/4″ baseboard (vertical), and…
- In-front bevel lock for convenient operation
What Is A Direct Drive Motor on the LS1219L Miter Saw?
The Makita LS1219L has a direct drive motor. A direct drive motor is a type of motor that does not have a belt or chain to transmit power from the motor to the blade. This type of motor is typically more powerful and efficient than a belt-driven motor.
The LS1219L has a 15 amp direct drive motor that provides smooth and accurate cuts.
Here are some of the benefits of a direct drive motor:
- More power: Direct drive motors are typically more powerful than belt-driven motors. This is because there is no loss of power through the belt or chain.
- More efficient: Direct drive motors are also more efficient than belt-driven motors. This means that they use less energy to operate, which can save you money on your electric bill.
- Smoother operation: Direct drive motors operate more smoothly than belt-driven motors. This is because there is no belt or chain to vibrate or slip.
- Longer lifespan: Direct drive motors typically have a longer lifespan than belt-driven motors. This is because there are fewer moving parts that can wear out.
The Makita LS1219L is a great option. The direct drive motor provides smooth and accurate cuts, and the saw is built to last. While durability issues are not uncommon with power tools as a general statement, the Makita LS1219L is built to last.
This is not to say that motor burnout might become an issue, there are signs and symptoms that are a precursor to it, and as long as you heed those signs to an impending motor burnout, you should be okay.
What Are Some Of The Common Issues Associated With The Makita LS1219L?
The Makita LS1219L is a popular miter saw, but it is not without its problems. Some of the most common issues associated with this saw include:
- Detent plate wear: The detent plate on the LS1219L is made of plastic, and it can wear over time. This can make it difficult to make accurate cuts, as the saw may not be able to hold the desired angle consistently.
- Miter lock binding: The miter lock on the LS1219L can sometimes bind, making it difficult to adjust the angle of the saw. This can be a problem if you need to make quick adjustments for an accurate miter cut.
- Dust collection: The dust collection on the LS1219L is not very good. This can make it difficult to keep your work area clean, and it can also pose a health hazard if you are exposed to sawdust.
- Blade alignment: The blade on the LS1219L can sometimes develop alignment issues, and blade alignment issues can cause inaccurate cuts. These issues can also be dangerous.
If you are considering buying a Makita LS1219L, it is important to be aware of these potential problems. However, it is also important to note that these problems are not universal, and many people have had positive experiences with this saw.
Here are some tips to help you avoid these problems:
- Keep the saw clean: Regularly cleaning the saw will help to prevent dust from accumulating and causing problems.
- Lubricate the saw: Lubricating the saw’s moving parts will help to keep them working smoothly and prevent them from binding.
- Check the blade alignment: Regularly check the blade alignment to make sure that it is still correct. As we stated earlier, alignment issues will affect the accuracy of the miter cut, so it is important to check to avoid those alignment issues.
If you do experience any problems with your Makita, you should contact Makita customer service for assistance. They may be able to help you troubleshoot the problem or send you replacement parts.
Does The Bevel Lock Sometimes Freeze and Become Difficult To Adjust?
Sometimes, yes, and a little extra effort is required to make adjustments. However, proper and careful use of the miter saw, in general, and the bevel lock, in this instance, can help avoid this frustration.
The bevel lock on the Makita LS1219L is located on the front of the saw, just below the blade. It is a large, black lever that you can easily reach with your hand. For bevel adjustments, simply loosen the lever and then tilt the saw head to the desired angle.
Once you have reached the desired angle, tighten the bevel adjustment lever to lock it in place.
Here are the steps on how to adjust the bevel on a Makita LS1219L:
- Loosen the bevel lock lever.
- Tilt the saw head to the desired angle.
- Tighten the bevel lock lever.
The bevel lock on the Makita LS1219L can be adjusted from 0° to 48° left and right. This allows you to make a variety of angled cuts, such as bevel cuts and compound cuts.
Here are some safety tips to keep in mind when adjusting the bevel on a Makita LS1219L:
- Always wear safety glasses when operating a miter saw.
- Make sure that the saw is turned off and unplugged before adjusting the bevel.
- Do not touch the blade while the saw is in operation.
- Be careful not to overtighten the bevel lock lever, as this could damage the saw.
A Common Thread With the Makita LS1219L Problems
There is a common thread that runs through some of the common issues users have reported. It has to do with the owner’s manual and the uses to which the saw is put.
Some of these issues are easily avoided by using the power tool in the ways it was intended to be used.
These ways include:
- Following the owner’s manual recommendations on maintenance
- Making cuts that are within the saw’s comfort zone. Trying to cut materials or material sizes the saw was not designed to cut will tax the saw unduly and eventually lead to a problem. It’s a 12-inch blade and stick with stock and workpieces that a 12-inch blade can easily handle.
- Clean the saw regularly, and do not let dust build-up
- Lubricate according to the owner’s manual suggestions
- Regularly examine the saw for proper blade alignment and blade tightness. A wobbly blade will not serve you well, as you can imagine.
Video With Pictures Of The Makita LS1219L and Its Features
We all like to see what we’re thinking of buying before we go to the big DIY stores, so we present Makita’s own video of this saw’s features.
If you take good care of your power tools, they will take good care of you. Most of these reported issues are avoidable if you follow that rule. Read the manual.
Last update on 2024-03-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API